Wednesday, July 31, 2019

"You're a Sikh, right?"...


On Sunday 28th July, after having spent a week at Camp Jeevan in Fresno (California), I was flying back home to the UK. My flight from Fresno to Los Angeles had been delayed for some reason and there was a chance I would miss my connecting flight back to the UK.

When I arrived at Lose Angels airport, I had to literally run to the boarding gate for my connecting flight. I was last passenger to board the plane. As I entered the plane, a white-woman flight attendant, who looked like in early 50s, welcomed me and said, "How are you Sir?" Whilst catching my breath, I said, "I am feeling out of breath! I have just ran to get on this flight." 

With a warm smile the lady said, "You're a Sikh, right?" I was taken aback that the flight attendant knew I was Sikh (considering it was America!). I replied, "Yes, I am a Sikh." She smiled back and said, "Great. So nice to see you.... Sat Kartaar!" I was thinking "Did I hear her correctly?... Did she just say 'Sat Kartaar' ("True is the Creator Lord" - a phrase from Gurbani)?" Then she enthusiastically said, “Aah! I love Keertan (the singing of Gurbani)!” I replied, “You know of Keertan?” She said, “Yes I can get enough of it. My iPod is full of Keertan.” I had to go and take my seat, so I said, "It would be nice to catch up with later on the flight."

I took my seat, which was right in the far end of the plane. Then the same flight-attendant came to my seat and said, "Hi Sir! Look at this..." She got out her iPod. She said, "I only listen to Keertan. I don't like listening to anything else.... It is so relaxing and uplifting." I was so happy to see how this lady, who was a non-Sikh, had been touched so much by Gurbani Keertan. She then had to go somewhere else before the flight took off.

After having a good sleep, I thought it was time for "Amrit-Vela" (the nectar hours/ early hours before dawn), so I got up and walked towards the toilets to wash my face. As I got near the toilets, the flight attendant I had been early talking to was sitting nearby. She said, "Hi". We started talking. I asked her, "How did you discover Keertan?" 

She replied, "I actually learn Yoga. Through my Yoga lessons I got introduced to Keertan but Yoga teacher is not a Sikh." She continued, "I am pretty sure I was a Sikh in my last life... Guru Ram Das touches my heart so much." So I asked, "Have you been to a Gurdwara before?" She said, "No. Sadly not. I don't know if there is a Gurdwara where I live." I told her that there a lots of Gurdwaras in Los Angeles area and that she should search on the Internet and visit one. I explained how the soul is fed at the Gurdwara through Keertan (singing of Gurbani), Simran (meditation) and recital of Gurbani, and how the body is fed through Langar. She never knew about Langar.

I then asked, "Do you read or know of Japji - the Song of the Soul?" She said, "No... I have not heard of that?" I then shared a story of how a Swedish lady heard Japji Sahib for the first time in her Yoga class and that led her to recite Japji Sahib everyday and eventually give up eating meat, drinking alcohol and cutting her hair, and eventually taking Amrit (initiation), despite not having any Sikhs live in her area. She seemed very curious and interested.

I then asked, "Have you heard of Sukhmani Sahib - the Psalm of Peace?" She said, "No." I said, "It was written by the son of Guru Ram Das Ji, Guru Arjan Dev Ji." She had huge smile on her face and said "Wow, it sounds lovely..." I shared a story of how a prisoner ended up keeping his Kes (hair), wearing a Dastaar (turban) and wanting to take Amrit. When I asked him what made you keep your Kes and start wearing a Dastaar, he said, "Sukhmani Sahib." Within one week of listening to Sukhmani Sahib and reciting along, his heart and mind changed and he got spiritual strength. At times he said he would listen to Sukhmani Sahib 3 or 4 times a day. The lady sounded very interested in how Bani is so powerful. 

The conversation had to end as meals were going to be served and she said, "Sorry, I have been to called to work. But its been really nice talking to you."

2 comments:

Harpreet Singh said...

Waheguru ��

Monika said...

Wow that's is so wonderful story, I wish people in Poland know more about Sikhism.
In England where I live is absolutely normal when I'm saying I'm sikh ( I'm white), I only have positive reactions, and they all asked how I discovered sikhism ect.
Unfortunately in April, when I was flying back to England, on the airport in Wrocław (Poland), I heard from the stuff during security control sikhism don't even exist, he know all religious around the world, and Sikhism is my hallucinations.