Tuesday, August 06, 2019

"I just want Baba Ji's prize..."


Every Monday, there is a children's class at my local Gurdwara Sahib. Before the school summer-holidays began, I told the children that whoever has a shower and reads or listens to Japji Sahib before they have breakfast during the 6 week holiday period will get a prize. I explained that I will give them the small prize, and the big prize will be given by Guru Ji (i.e. Guru Sahib's blessings).

This Monday, at the end of class, one young girl, aged 7, with her mother and sister stayed behind to talk to me. The girls' mother shared that usually she struggled to wake up her 7 year old daughter to go school and she always asked for some more time to sleep. She said, "However, during these holidays, I have been shocked how I just need to say one time about waking up and she will jump out of bed and say 'Vahiguru time'." Her mother explained that she has a shower herself everyday in the holidays and has then come up to her and said, "Mum, its Vahiguru time." Her mum will sit with her and read Japji Sahib, whilst she listens, followed by an Ardaas, and then they have breakfast.

When her mum mentioned prizes. Her 7 year-old daughter said, "I don't want Bhaji to give me a prize. I just want Baba Ji's (Guru Nanak Dev Ji's) prize." Her mum asked, "What prize do you want from Baba Ji?" She said, "I want Baba Ji to give me a huggy-hug!" Her mum became emotional and was taken aback by what prize the child wanted for waking up in the morning and listening to Japji Sahib. The 7 year-old went on to say, "But mum, as Baba Ji is invisible and we can't see him... will Baba Ji able to give me a huggy-hug?" 

I looked at 7 year-old with her smile and thought of her innocent love she had for Guru Sahib and said, "I am sure, Guru Sahib will give you a very big huggy-hug, if that's what you want!"


Bibi Gur Kaur reciting a Dharmik Geet in December 2018

No comments: