Wednesday, July 27, 2022

When a Dutch young man said "If I were a Sikh..." । ਜਦੋਂ ਇੱਕ ਡੱਚ ਨੌਜਵਾਨ ਨੇ ਕਿਹਾ "ਜੇ ਮੈਂ ਸਿੱਖ ਹੁੰਦਾ..."


On Sunday 24th July, my dad and I were at Amsterdam airport, on our way back from Khalsa Camp Europe. My dad had ordered special assistance at the airport. A young white Dutch man greeted us and said that he has been assigned to take us to the gate. He was really friendly and looked happy to see us.

As he was pushing the wheelchair, we all talked to one another. During the conversation, I asked, "Do you know we are Sikhs?" He replied, "Yes, I know you are Sikhs... I study with a Sikh at university and learnt about your people from him. However, other than the Sikh at university I have not seen many Sikhs in the Netherlands." He then went on to say, "You are the warriors of India, you are brave and saintly people... I really respect Sikhs... who wouldn't?"

At the time I was wearing a white Chola (Khalsa dress), a white Hazooria around my neck, blue coloured Dastaar and Khanda on Dastaar. He looked at me and said, "If I were a Sikh I would always wear what you are wearing. Your appearance shines respect. You have lots to be proud of, and therefore, if I were a Sikh, not saying I am going to become one, but if I were a Sikh, I would definitely wear my robes all the time with pride and respect." I was overwhelmed by this young white Dutch man's admiration for Sikhi and Bana (Khalsa dress). I felt perhaps this man had more respect and admiration for Bana than most young Sikhs of today who would rather wear jeans and a t-shirt than wear the traditional dress of Bana.

When we got to the gate, the conversation had reached about Gurdwaras. I was sharing with him how there is a Gurdwara in Amsterdam and it is open to all and how we have Langar. He was so impressed with the concept of Langar and the spiritual lessons behind it. He said, "You Sikhs are truly wonderful people who have so much to give to the world. Your religion is beautiful." At this point, he thanked both my dad and me for the conversation and said goodbye.

No comments: