Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Story of Parmvir Singh (Canada)...


Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh 

...While growing up I was fortunate enough to have a family that practised Sikhi. As a result of this, I was kesdhari (maintained unshorn hair) for most of my life. My parents did make an effort to educate me about Gurbani, the Gurus, and various other aspects of Sikhi. This continued for many years of my life. However as the years passed by, I began to care less and less about Sikhi. This was mainly because of the sangat (company) that surrounded me. My friends didn't really care much for Sikhi as they either identified themselves just as Punjabis or people who believed in completely different faiths. Naturally they had a heavy influence on me and eventually my views steered away from Sikhi I was basically absorbed in maya (the world-illusion). I just wanted to be cool and "fit in", whether that meant cutting my beard, eating meat and doing many other anti-Gurmat things. And that's exactly what happened when I was in first year of university. I did all of these things in secrecy just so that I wouldn't disappoint my family. It came to a point where I somewhat despised the Sikhi saroop (identity) of keeping kes (hair) and the wearing of a dastaar (turban). 

My life took a quick turn in second year of university when I randomly decided to join the university's Sikh Students' Association. At first I didn't really think much of the religious aspect of the group as I just was looking to put something down on my resume/CV. But as I started to attend more of the programs they held (such as discussions and simran (meditation) programs) I developed more of an interest in Sikhi. One day I attended a youth kirtan program that they held, and I can definitely say that it had an enormous impact on my Sikhi and my life. I had heard kirtan before, but this was the first time when I heard young Gursikhs singing kirtan live. Description in words do no to justice to what I felt. It was nothing short of absolute anand (bliss). This was the first time in my life where the Shabad (sacred hymn) made sense to me. It was as if Guru Maharaaj themselves where speaking to me through the words of Gurbani. Usually I would never make the effort to sing along, but this time I never wanted to stop singing the Lord's praises. Eventually I made many Gursikh friends through the Sikh Students' Association and they suggested that I attend both Singhs Camp and Khalsa Camp British Columbia. My experiences at these camps are ones that I will cherish for the rest of my life. It was here where I made several important realizations: those being the importance of the Guru's bana (dress), Amrit, kirtan in saadh sangat (the holy company), Sikhi saroop (Sikh identity i.e. kes and dastaar). And as I was learning all of these amazing things, I was having the time of life. 

Finally my main transformation towards a Sikhi lifestyle was after hearing on of your kathas (talks), Bhai Sahib. After the camps I was inspired to listen to kirtan only and listening to any online katha. I came across your katha of the story of Bhai Manjh on YouTube. Here was Bhai Manjh, a man who gave up EVERYTHING he had: his mind, body, reputation, health and wealth. All of this so he could love and serve Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaaj. And when Bhai Manjh is then trapped in a well, and is in need of the help, what does Guru Maharaaj do? Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaaj, the King of Kings, comes RUNNING to his devotee, embraces him saying, "I am yours". When I heard this I was practically in tears. There is nothing more beautiful in this world than the idea of surrendering yourself to the Guru in return for Their love. At that point I knew what I wanted in life. I too wanted to be in the arms of Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaaj for the rest of my life. I too wanted Guru Ji to come running to me if I ever needed Them. I too wanted Their love and to be Their servant for eternity. I then thought to myself, if Bhai Manjh surrendered everything he had to gain this, then how is it that I can't give up cutting my hair, eating meat, or anything of these other things? How is it that so many human beings on this earth do not do the things Bhai Manjh did, and follow each and every hukam (order) of the Guru, in order to gain the love of Akaal Purakh Vaheguroo? 

All of this makes me think back to how blessed I was to born into a Gursikh family in the first place. The Guru was already trying to guide me to the right path, but my ignorance took me the opposite way. Even then the Guru still turned me towards Sikhi at the end of the day. I am extremely fortunate that Guru Sahib has blessed me with their Amrit recently, and I am forever grateful for this. I am also grateful for the sangat they have blessed me with, for had it not been for the Gursikhs I met, who knows where I could have been today. I cannot stress how important of a role sangat plays in my life to help my grow as a Sikh. I understand my journey to Sikhi was probably not as difficult as some other people, but I think it's also important to realize how easily one can by swayed away from Sikhi even if people around you practice it (like my family). That's why it's always good to try to grow as a Sikh in any way possible. Whether that entails meeting a new Gursikh sangat that you might be able to relate to (like in my case) or doing other things that help you get closer to the Guru (e.g. reading bani you haven't read before, doing simran, nitnem during amrit vela, etc.). You definitely will not regret it. 

ਮੇਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ ਕੀ ਕੋਈ ਬਾਤ ਸੁਨਾਵੈ ਸੋ ਭਾਈ ਸੋ ਮੇਰਾ ਬੀਰ ॥੨॥ 
mere har preetam kee koee baat sunaavai so bhaaee so meraa beer. ||2|| 
Whoever tells me the Stories of my Beloved Lord is my Sibling of Destiny, and my friend. ||2|| 

...Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Thank you to Veer Parmvir Singh for emailing me his personal story and asking it to be shared with the Sangat.

Dhan Hai , Dhan Hai Teree Sikhee!

No comments: