Saturday, July 07, 2018

Primary school children learn about Sikhi... (Part 2)


Continued...

Some people grow their hair long, and some people have their hair short. Put your hands up if you have long hair or have not cut your hair? [Clearly one child didn't understand the question because he had short cut hair but had his hand up!]

Well! As a Sikh we believe that God has made this body as a gift and we look after it. We don't cut our hair because it helps us to stay connected with God's vibration and feel his holy presence. It always give us spiritual strength, similar to a story in the Bible. To prevent us looking really messy or having your hair go all over the place, we nicely tie it up on top of our head. It looks really cool.

Put your hand up if you are against animal cruelty? [Everyone put their hand up]
Now, what is the most cruelest thing you could do an animal? [Someone put their hand up and said "kill it".]

Well done! As a Sikh we are are against cruelty and believe an animal's right to live is more important than someone taste. 
As humans we can still survive without eating animals. Being caring, compassionate and kind to all living beings is really important if we want to stay connected with God's holy presence.

What do you find in a garden? [Children said - vegetables, plants, flowers...]
Now, what do you find a grave yard? [Children said - grave stones, dead bodies...]

Well, as Sikhs we treat our body like a beautiful garden, rather than a grave yard. So we don't eat dead animals. Instead we eat vegetables, lentils, pulses, wheat and fruit. 


As a Sikh I am supposed to have pure thoughts and see everyone as part of my family. So I treat all elderly women with the same respect as my mum. Everyone the same age as me, with the same respect as a sister, and anyone younger than me with the respect of a daughter. And the same the other way around.

Can you drink and drive? [A student said "No."]
Why not? [A student said, "Because it is effects your mind and you can have an accident]

Well done! The body is a temple or house of God. Just as you cannot drink and drive because its dangerous and not good for your mind. As Sikhs we do not drink, smoke or take drugs. We always want our mind to stay focused and able to connect with God's vibration and feel His presence.

Lastly, you may be thinking why I look like this. 

The Guru has given us a special uniform to remind me to stay connected with God.

We wear a turban to cover our hair. The turban is a crown. But not any old crown. It is a crown with special jewels. Can you see them? [They looked confused and said no].

My turban is a crown. Just like a king or queen wears a crown and they have responsibilities and duties. A Sikh wearing a turban has responsibilities and duties. The jewels of my crown are values taught by our Guru, a bit like your school values. The jewels are - being fearless, not hating anyone, respecting all, standing up for others, being of service to others, being kind, being fair, etc. 

On my wrist I am wearing these. What do you think they are made of? [Someone said silver].
They made of iron. Just like God is strong like iron, Sikhs wear an iron bracelet to remind us to be strong in our faith. They also look like handcuffs. It reminds me that I am handcuffed to God and God is always with me, and with these hands I should do good and help others.

Inside my turban, I have a small wooden comb which is used to comb my hair. Just like we keep our hair tidy, we are reminded to keep our mind and thoughts tidy each time we comb our hair.

You can't see, but I am wearing some long white shorts. They are really wide.... not that I am that fat. There is cord-string which you pull and makes the shorts look like a curtain that goes around my waist. It is really comfortable and it means I can do anything and always be covered and looking respectable. It is white colour and reminds me to behave like a saint and always be careful with my thoughts.

Lastly, this is called a Kirpaan! Can you say "Kirpaan" for me. [They all repeated after me].

This a gift by the Guru worn to protect and stand up for others. It is not something to be scared of. Just like you wouldn't be scared of your school cook with a knife, because you know she is going to use for cutting vegetables. You would not be scared of a doctor with a knife, because you know he is going to use it save someones life in surgery. You would not be scared of a Sikh wearing a Kirpaan, because you know that he or she is wearing it for protecting others. Sikhs are God's Police. We have a duty to protect and serve others just like the Police.

To end with... as Sikhs we get together and pray in a place called a Gurdwara. There is a special room where the Guru sits on the throne and we read, sing and pray. Then there is a special dining room where everyone can come and eat food. Wherever Sikhs are in the world, we give free food because our Guru taught us that no one should go hungry. So if you ever see a Gurdwara, feel free to go inside and visit.

The children gave a very positive response. Afterwards I went to the classrooms where students got an opportunity to ask questions. Their questions were really sweet. Hopefully the write-up can give some ideas and confidence to others to do seva in schools and share the message of Guru Nanak Dev Ji with the world and prevent intolerance and racism.

No comments: