Monday, March 06, 2017

"I dont believe in God because..."

 
Last week, I was talking to a young white English man who had various issues and decided to talk to me. I asked him, "Do you believe in God, and have a religion you follow?" He replied, "I don't do religion or believe in God." I asked, "Do you mind me asking, if there is any reason you don't believe in God?" "Well you see, I don't believe in God because I don't believe in anything that I see for myself. You get me?" he replied.

I then asked him, "Does Africa exist?" He replied, "Obviously it exists." "But have you been to Africa and seen it with your own eyes?" I said. He responded, "No." I replied back with, "So, how do you know Africa exists, when you yourself have not seen with your own very eyes?" He said, "That's easy! I have seen Africa on maps and seen it on the television." I replied, "But how do you know that what is being shown on the TV is true, and that maps are not lying?" He then stopped and began to think.

I ended with, "Whether you choose to believe in God or not, that is up to you. However, the map of God is the Word of God of revealed and the holy saints. The beautiful nature you see around you are the signs of God. In order for you to believe, you will will first have to faith in yourself. Once, you have faith in yourself, you will have faith in the one keeps you alive, gives you the breath of life, makes the sunshine, and makes the world turn."

The young man began to really think and contemplate. He smiled and said, "I suppose its like the wind. You cannot see it, but you can see its amazing power.... and you cannot see oxygen, but without it we would be dead."

At the end of the conversation, he said he will explore his religious roots and visit Church on Sunday to make him feel better.

No comments: