Monday, May 02, 2016

Part 1 - Denmark Sikh Family Camp - Inspirational Stories

Story from the Sikh Family Camp held from 22-24 April, 2016, in Denmark:



Story of Brother Rakesh

ਜੀਅ ਕੀ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਹੋਇ ਸੁ ਗੁਰ ਪਹਿ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ ਕਰਿ ||
ਛੋਡਿ ਸਿਆਣਪ ਸਗਲ ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਅਰਪਿ ਧਰਿ ||
"When your soul is feeling sad, offer your prayers to the Guru. Renounce all your cleverness, and dedicate your mind and body to Him." 
(Gujri M:5, 519)

At the end of the Sunday divaan, Bhai Gursewak Singh came to me and said that someone would like to talk to me. I thought it must be someone who is upset with the lecture I had given about Gurmat and felt offended that I spoke about alcohol or Amrit etc. Bhai Gursewak Singh brought to me a Veer jee with cut hair, wearing an orange rumaal and an 'Om' Hindu symbol around his neck. The Veer jee said to me, "Sat Siree Akaal jee." He spoke Hindi. He asked, "Can I take a few of your moments, I wished to talk to you." 

We took a seat at the back of the Darbar Sahib and began talking. The Veer jee introduced himself and said, "My name is Rakesh. I am a Hindu. I am originally from Gujarat. I come here, to the Gurdwara regularly. The one thing I love about Sikhs and the Sikh religion is - simplicity. Everything is so simple and everyone is so welcoming. Although I am a Hindu, I don't get the same inner-peace and joy that I get from the Hindu temple as I get from the Gurdwara Sahib..."

He continued, "I wish to share with you a story about this Gurdwara and how this is a special place for me." He explained that he was married to a Danish lady, who had a daughter from a previous marriage but was accepted by Rakesh as his own. When he arrived in the country he used to go school to learn how to speak Danish. Whilst learning Danish he met a Punjabi aunty who was also learning Danish. One day the Punjabi aunty invited Rakesh to the Gurdwara Sahib because they had an Akhand Paatth Sahib.

Rakesh explained, "From when my daughter was born, her feet were not flat. They were curved upwards. Because she could not place her foot flat, she could not walk. The doctors said that there was no cure and wrote that she would never ever be able to walk." He explained that on the Saturday of the Akhand Paatth Sahib, they visited the Gurdwara Sahib in Copenhagen for the first time. He didn't know much about Sikhs and it was the first time he was visiting a Gurdwara in his life. Rakesh, his Danish wife and daughter which they carried to the Darbaar Sahib, stood before Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. 

Rakesh said, "Sardar Ji! My wife and I decided we would pray to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji to make our daughter better so that she can walk. My wife and I stood before Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji with our hands together and prayed. My wife said to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji that if he makes our daughter better, she would raise her as a Sikh. We later had langar and went home." He explained, that evening they arrived home, they noticed their daughter's curled feet had gone one inch down. The following morning they woke up, they noticed their daughter's feet had gone down by another inch. By seven days, both feet of their daughter were straight and touching the ground. Rakesh smiled and said, "The doctors said she could not walk. Within a week Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji blessed our daughter and she is able to walk now. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is not just wisdom - Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is a Power. I know - I have experienced this. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is a real, a Living Power. Since then, I come all the time to the Gurdwara, listen to Gurbani and Keertan, and do Seva. I love coming here. It gives me so much peace, joy and satisfaction."  

ਸਚੀ ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਸਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਸਚੁ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਸੁਖੁ ਕੀਜਾ ਹੇ ||੫||
"True is Your Power, and True is GurBani. O my Lord and Master! True is the peace which You give. ||5||"
(Maaroo M:5, 1074)

No comments: