Friday, October 10, 2014

Beauty of Sukhmani Sahib...

When I went to New York to attend Camp Chardi Kala I was fortunate to meet Bhai Jatinder Singh who does seva with UNITED SIKHS in New York. He was a sevadaar the camp. Bhai Jatinder Singh shared some really inspiring personal stories about Sikhi with me. I wish to share one story that Bhai Sahib shared with me. Last year in February Bhai Jatinder Singh, who is an Associate Director of UNITED SIKHS, offered prayers at the United Nations 67th General Assembly Opening Session that took place in New York. During the interfaith event Bhai Sahib read the Mool Mantar and a verses from the translation of Sri Sukhmani Sahib.



After the event Bhai Sahib told me that several faith representatives and guests from the event came to him and thanked him for sharing the beautiful prayer and asked about Sikhi. One particular American lady asked Bhai Sahib about where the prayer was from that he read as she found it so beautiful. Bhai Sahib told her that he read the English translation of a Sikh prayer called 'Sukhmani Sahib'. 

The American lady asked Bhai Sahib if she could have a copy of Sukhmani Sahib in English. Bhai Sahib gave her the translation Gutka Sahib of Sukhmani Sahib and told her, "the best time to read this prayer is 'Nectar Time' (i.e. Amrit Vela)." She asked, "What is 'Nectar Time'?" Bhai Sahib replied, "It is early morning before sunrise. Waking up between 2am and 3am is the best time to pray and meditate." On departing, both of them shared their contact details. 

If I remember correctly, a month later the American lady got in touch with Bhai Sahib. She said, "I am in trouble. I need your help!" Bhai Sahib enquired what trouble she is in and how he can help. She replied, "I am working away from home and gone to Florida. I am staying at a hotel. I have forgotten my prayer book that you gave me. Today was the first day that I didn't read the prayers early in the morning. My day has passed very difficulty and I am struggling to survive without the prayer book."  

The American lady explained that since meeting Bhai Sahib she has been waking up every day at 2am, having a shower and then reading all of the Sukhmani Sahib in English. She asked, "Are there any Sikhs in Florida that you know of that can give me a copy of the prayer book?" Bhai Sahib explained, "You don't need anyone to give you a copy of the prayer book. If you have WiFi and internet access then you can download Sukhmani Sahib and read from your computer or device." The lady was thankful to Bhai Sahib for the advice so that she could continue to read Sukhmani at Amrit vela.

Amazing how people get introduced to Gurbani and how it affects the lives of non-Sikhs.


Dhan Hai Guru, Dhan Hai Teree Sikhee!

No comments: