Tuesday, September 27, 2011

"There's no good people in the world..."



During Dastaar Day in London on Sunday, I met Bhai Amrik Singh is a Sikh Chaplain working at Heathrow Airport who shared an inspirational story...

During Guru Arjan Dev jee's Shaheedi purb (martyrdom day) the Sikhs working at Heathrow airport decided to give out free ice creams to the public and at the same time give out a small and simple leaflet about the Gurpurb. Sikh volunteers got on the buses and gave out free ice-creams to the passengers and then handed over the small leaflet. At the end the bottom of the leaflet was Bhai Amrik Singh jee's contact details and phone number.

One young lady who was given a free ice-cream on the bus rang Bhai Amrik Singh that evening. She said,
"Hi, I got a free ice-cream today and got your number from the leaflet. I was going through a really bad day. I am going through a divorce and I am feeling depressed and sad about life and the world. I was thinking there's no good people in the world, when a lovely Sikh man offered me a free ice-cream. I got home and remembered I was given a leaflet. I read the leaflet and found out about Guru Arjan Dev. Reading the leaflet has changed me. I thought my pain and suffering was bad, but reading about Guru Arjan Dev everything got put in perspective. What I was going through was nothing like what the Guru went through. I couldn't believe and get over how he said, "I accept God's Will sweetly" whilst going through so much torture. I just wanted to say thanks for making me realise this and changing my life."

Bhai Sahib said that since they have commemorated the Gurpurb in this way every year and do similar things for other Gurpurbs.



Dhan Hai Guru! Dhan Hai Teree Sikhee!

2 comments:

ਹਰਪ੍ਰੀਤ ਸਿੰਘ (Harpreet Singh) said...

What a nice and educational way to celebrate gurupurb.

Jasbeer Singh said...

Great..It's a good idea to provide information to everyone when we celebrate Gurpurab's.. which is not an usual practice...people eat, enjoy and leave without asking/knowing ..What/Why this is?