Sunday, April 23, 2006

The Bliss from Rainsabaaee Keertan

Bhai Manjeet Singh (Glasgow) doing Keertan at April 2001 Rainsabaaee Keertan in Southall

Yesterday was the International Akhand Keertan Rainsabaaee which happened at Singh Sabha Gurdwara, Derby. "Akhand" (ਅਖੰਡ) means "NON-STOP". "Rain" (ਰੈਣ), meaning NIGHT. "Rainsabaaee" (ਰੈਣਸਬਾੲੀ) means "NIGHT LONG." So Akhand Keertan Rainsabaaee is where the Saadh Sangat gathers and does continuous non-stop Keertan throughout the night till Amrit-Vela (the early hours of the next day).

Unfortunately I was unable to go to the Rainsbaaee because of university work. However, there was a live video broadcast on the internet. It was great watching the live broadcast video. The Kirtan was CHARDIKALA. It’s great to see Sangat SINGING ALONG (something which sometimes is lacking in normal Sunday Gurdwara diwaans).


I remember my first Akhand Keertan Rainsbaaee which I attended. It was a few months after I started to keep my Kesh and tie a Dastaar. It was Vaisakhi 2001 International UK Smaagam at Singh Sabha Gurdwara, Park Avenue in Southall. I never knew what a Rainsbaaee Keertan was nor had I been exposed to any large numbers of Gursikhs.

The Rainsbaaee Keertan was advertised in the newspaper and my two Bhua Jees (paternal aunts) said "that sounds like a nice programme. We have never been to a Rainsbaaee Keertan in this country perhaps we should go." So they asked me to come along. The three of us went to Southall in the car.

SAT NAAM, WAHEGURU. We arrived and the Gurdwara was PACKED with Singhs and Singhnees, young and old, adorned with beautiful Dastaars and Bana (Sikh attire). It was the first time I was fortunate to have the pleasure of having darshan of so many Gursikhs.

I sat down near the front where the Keertan was happening. One word to describe it was "WAHEGURU". Everyone was singing along and it helped that the Shabad being sung was being displayed on a projector screen. This was the first time I had ever seen Sikhi To The Max or a projector screen in a Gurdwara. I sang along with the Shabads. Everyone was singing really loudly like when someone is in love and shouts "I LOVE YOU!!" the loudest they can from their heart.

Here some photos from the Southall Rainsabaaee Keertan April 2001 (You may spot me in the Sangat in a few photos!):


Bhai Harsevak Singh Ji (UK) doing Keertan.


Saadh Sangat.


Bhai Niranjan Singh (Jawadi Kala Wale) doing Keertan.


Dhan Satguru Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee. You can also see the projector screen near Guru Sahib. I was amazed at seeing Sikhi To The Max.


Saadh Sangat.


Bhai Apardeep Singh Ji (Derby) doing Keertan.


The Panj Piaare doing Keertan. I remember that there was an Amrit Sanchaar. After the Amrit Sanchaar had finished, all those who had taken Amrit walked behind the Panj Piaare and entered the Diwaan hall. It was heart moving to see such a beautiful site!
You can hear some of the Keertan from that night here.


My Bhua Jees also enjoyed the Rainsbaaee and were pleasantly surprised at seeing so many Gursikhs (as they had not even had experience of so many Amritdharis). The RAS (taste) of AMRIT BAANI (spiritual-life giving Word of God) was UNBELIEVABLE. I realised here that Gurbaani was not just for reading but to EXPERIENCE!

I remember that night there was an Amrit Sanchaar. My Bhua Jees couldn't find me and when they found me and got ready to go home, they said, "We thought you may have gone to take Amrit - we were worried where you were." I wished I had taken Amrit there! It was amazing.

The next day I wished to experience the same experience. I could still feel the vibration of "WAAHE-GUROO" and Baani inside me. I wished I could be like the Gursikhs in the Rainsbaaee and enjoy the blessings of Guru Sahib.


I recommend that if you haven't been to a Rainsbaaee Keertan before, try going to one and sit there and allow yourself to become ONE with the Sangat and SING ALONG with the Keertan and allow your soul to enjoy the bliss of Amrit Baani :)

Find out about future Rainsabaaee and other Keertan programmes here.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wooooooww... Waheguroooo... Bhai Niranjan Singh at an Akhand Keertanee Jatha Rehnsbai.... bet that must have been incredible... i'm gutted i missed it...

Manvir Singh (UK) said...

Incredible = understatement :)

At the time I never knew who Bhai Niranjan Singh was.

Anonymous said...

Vahiguroo

Phone Bhai Oankar Singh see www.akj.org.uk

Anonymous said...

Mandeep Singh please ring Bhai Onkar Singh who does sewa of organising Akhand Keertan programmes on 07956 528735.

Also try ringing Bhai Manjit Singh from Central Gurdwara Glasgow on 01416 160360

Anonymous said...

Any recordings of Bhai Niranjan's Singhs keertan at the Akhand Keertan Smagam

Manvir Singh (UK) said...

Any recordings of Bhai Niranjan's Singhs keertan at the Akhand Keertan Smagam


You will have to contact www.akj.org.uk sewadaars

Gurumustuk Singh said...

Thanks for the explanation of Rainsabaee. I didn't know the literal meaning. These types of kirtan sessions are great!

Uttam Singh said...

I rememember that rainsabhai! it was absoloutley mind-blowing.