Saturday, January 20, 2024

ਜਦੋਂ ਇੱਕ ਈਸਾਈ ਆਦਮੀ ਨੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਕਿਹਾ: "ਮੈਂ ਤੁਹਾਡਾ ਧੰਨਵਾਦ ਕਰਨਾ ਚਾਹਾਂਗਾ ..." । When a Christian man said to me: "I want to say thank you..."


I had boarded a plane from Melbourne to Auckland. I had a window seat and was the first in my row to sit down. As evening approached, I began reciting Rehraas Sahib, the daily Sikh prayer. As I quietly recited Gurbani (the Guru's Holy Word), an elderly couple approached the row and began loading their luggage on the shelf above. The lady then looked at me and then her husband and said, "Look! What an honour, we get to sit next to a Maharaja today." After hearing this, I decided to pause reciting Rehraas Sahib and start again once I had engaged in a conversation with the couple. I looked at the elderly lady who was coming to sit next to me and her husband, who sat on the next seat, and smiled. They both smiled back, returning my hello.

The lady introduced herself as Loraine and her husband was Stuart. I asked about their trip and they shared they were from New Zealand but were visiting their daughter in Australia. They asked about my trip and then asked what I do for a living. They were interested in my job role as a chaplain and said they enjoyed talking to me. Loraine said, "You wouldn't approve of my husband's dad. I'm sorry." I thought, what on earth could this man work as that I would disapprove of? Stuart replied that he worked as a computer technician (to my memory). I thought, "What's wrong with that?" Then Loraine said, "Your work is not just that... tell him the full thing...." She then continued, "My husband is also a wine taster." Both Loraine and Stuart apologized to me. I was so surprised that they would apologize and show me so much respect that I didn't drink nor promote alcohol.

They then went on to share the grief of their daughter's recent tragic death. Stuart said, "I'm angry with the man upstairs." He was referring to God. I kept quiet and just listened. What else could you do when someone is angry and grieving? No words at this point in their bereavement journey could console them. So I just listened. I then asked them to excuse me from the conversation and that I was going to do my evening prayer. After reciting Rehraas Sahib, Stuart said, "I would like to say thank you." I was thinking "Thank you for what?" He went on to say, "You Sikhs are such lovely people... you are disciplined, and the duty you do is remarkable and commendable. I have sheer respect for the way you live your lives to such high standards and everything you stand for." In my mind, I thanked Guru Gobind Singh Ji for the Sikhi that has blessed me and all Sikhs. 
 
He then said, "I feel peace sitting next to you. I've enjoyed talking to you. Can we please stay in touch.. I would love to talk to you and talk through a few things that trouble my mind." The peace he felt wasn't because of me. It stemmed from the power and peace of the holy words of Rehraas Sahib. The peace he felt came from the Dastaar (holy turban), holy beard, and Bana (holy dress) blessed to us by Guru Gobind Singh Ji. I shared my email address with them. Before leaving, they again thanked me. It made me think that when traveling some Sikh brothers and sisters feel they have to wear Western clothes and Sikh brothers have to tie up their beards. However, being comfortable with who you are, embracing your identity, and radiating Sikhi through your external experience, can bring peace and comfort to others, even in the most unexpected moments.

No comments: