Sunday, October 25, 2020

ਭਾਈ ਤਰਨਜੀਤ ਸਿੰਘ ਦੀ ਕਹਾਣੀ । Story of Bhai Tarunjeet Singh...

Bhai Tarunjeet Singh is a sevadaar (volunteer) of Singh Sabha Gurdwara, Cross Road in Coventry. He is also member of SHARE (Sikh History and Religious Education) charity which makes and promotes Sikh resources to better the understanding of Sikhi amongst Sikhs and non-Sikhs. He has inspired and supported many youngsters coming into Sikhi. Below is an article written by him about his faith journey.


At a young age I was given ‘Choola’ (few drops of Amrit-holy water as form of blessing) by the Panj Singh (the Five chosen Sikhs) when my parents took Amrit (baptism) after 1984. I remember having a normal childhood until I got to the age of 16! I was introduced to alcohol at our school prom. We all got mashed out of our faces and this started a very slippery slope.

I left school passing all my exams with good grades and then started college, where I became involved with some really bad Sangat (company). We used to take cannabis every day, drink alcohol, go clubbing etc… Anyway this went on for two years at which point I lied to my parents that I had passed my college diplomas and was to join university.

I had a false certificate made and was enrolled in university. At uni, I never went to lectures. I cut my Kes (uncut hair) and would walk around like a gangster. If anyone would even look at me in a wrong way, I would smash a bottle in their face or beat them up. I used to have many people who looked up to me for all the wrong reasons. As we all being a daily cannabis user, I decided to become a dealer. Ironically my uncle was the main supplier, and I knew that I could start to make some serious money. So now I was dealing drugs, drinking, using extreme violence, thieving, and I had also started to take crack cocaine. 

I failed my first year at uni and transferred to another one which was in another city. This only made things worse. Now I was away from home, so now I was totally out of control. I was still dealing drugs, had all the “bling bling” and the gangster car.

It was at this point in my life, what some people might call the highlife that I woke up one morning and thought to myself who are you? Why are you here? What religion are you? Well, I wore a Kara (iron bangle) but I could only name five of the ten Sikh Gurus. There was a Gurdwara literally a two minute walk from where I was staying, so I decided to make sure I go there every day for Rehraas Sahib (the Sikh evening prayer). I kept this up even if I knew I was going to go clubbing.

Slowly my love for Guru Ji started to grow. I would still do all the things I was doing but now I would feel bad and I would think about how much of a bad person I was for hours. Then one night we went to a club, we got into a big fight there was 8 of us and about 12 of the other people. That day, my friends and I went mad. We stabbed these people and smashed bottles in their faces. They were in intensive care for a long time. This made me think that I needed to change my Sangat (company). I started to have a real fight with my mind, which was telling me to walk the Guru’s path.

The next week we went clubbing and everyone was typically drunk and drugged up, including me. I was standing in the middle of the dance floor and something clicked in my head. My “buzz” went and I looked around me and realised that I was in HELL. I was in the womb of Kaljug (the darkness of the world).

I left the gig and decided in my mind I will take Amrit (baptism) at the next possible opportunity. With Guru Ji’s kirpa (blessing) there was an Amrit Sanchaar (baptism ceremony) that weekend, just three days after the gig.

I went to the Rainas-baaee (all-night Keertan- singing of the Lord’s Praises). I never told my parents or my friends that I went and was blessed with Amrit (baptism).

I have been lucky where I live that the Singhs and Singhnia (the devout Sikh men and women) have a solid amrit-vela (morning routine of waking up before sunrise to meditate and pray) and nearly all the Singhs have done the seva (service) of being Panj Singh (the chosen Five Sikhs that conduct the Amrit ceremony).

I LOVE MY LORD THAT SAVED ME FROM THE WRETCHED LIFE I HAD AND GAVE ME RE-BIRTH AS GURSIKH! VAHEGURU!!!!!!!!!


REFLECTION: This story reminds us that however far distanced from Vaheguru we become because of our own actions, there is always hope to come back to Vaheguru and find true peace and happiness. This is possible when we give Vaheguru a chance by connecting with Gurbani (scripture) and choose to keep good Sangat (company). Your life story awaits you- which direction will you take your story? Guru Nanak Ji awaits to hear from you.

No comments: