Monday, April 15, 2019

"I trust you because the way you look..."

 

Last year December, I was coming back to the UK from Amsterdam airport after attending a Gurmat camp in Belgium. I had forgotten to put my small Kirpaan in my checked-in luggage. When I went through the security scanner machine and got to the other side, the security officer greeted me. He said, "You are dressed wonderfully.... Who are you?" I smiled, and said, "I am a Sikh." He said, "I like the way you are dressed."  

The security officer genuinely seemed happy to see Sikhi Saroop (identity). The second security officer then came forward and said, "You look so royal. I like the way you are dressed. Are you a king?" I replied, "My Guru is the King." He asked if he could check my luggage, which I agreed to. 

When he opened my luggage he found 2 small Kirpaans. He said, "What's this? I said, its part of my religious uniform. I was supposed to put it in my checked-in luggage but I forgot." He smiled and said, "Don't worry. By looking at you, I trust you. I trust you to keep these with you." I was pleasantly surprised and said, "So you allow Kirpaans of this size?" He replied, "No. I am allowing you out of on the decision of my discretion because I trust you because the way you look."

It was a very humbling moment that how much respect and honour one gets by wearing 'Baana' (the Khalsa royal uniform). I am sure I would not have had the same response if I was not wearing 'Baana'. Dhan Guru Gobind Singh Ji!

No comments: