Friday, September 14, 2018

"I was expecting my son-in-law to look like you..."

 
Last week I was invited to an event and came across a lovely Jewish couple. As soon as they saw me their faces lit up with warm smiles and they hand shook me. The lady said, "You look wonderful. Do you always dress like this everyday?" I replied, "Yes, I wear traditional Sikh dress everyday." She responded, "Well, it looks amazing... What's the white scarf you are wearing?" I replied, "It was tradition for servants to have a scarf around their neck. As a Sikh I am the servant of God. The white reminds us to be humble servants of God. When a Sikh is performing a religious duty or service, they wear it around their neck." 

Then the man with a smile said, "Looking at you, I wish I had dressed in my traditional religious dress.... I should at least cover my head with Kippah (Jewish skull cup)." He then pulled out his Kippah from his pocket and covered his head.

"My daughter is married to a Sikh," said the man. I asked, "So, he has uncut hair and a turban?" "No... he is supposed to be a Sikh, but there is nothing Sikh about the way he looks, how he lives or anything else really... a great shame really," he replied. "I was expecting my son-in-law to look like you when my daughter told me that her partner was a Sikh. I was so excited and looked forward to see him and his family. I researched Sikhism to make sure I knew everything about the religion and didn't cause any offense. However, when I met him and his family, they had cut-hair, drank alcohol, ate meat and didn't talk or take any interest in the Sikh religion. On the other hand, I was so eager to have a really good conversation and learn more about the Sikh faith." I said, "So you really mean that he was of 'Sikh heritage' as supposed to an actual Sikh?" "Yes... you are right," he said.

"Researching the Sikh religion I was so fascinated. I expected your religion to be very aggressive because of the swords you wear and your martial history. But I realised you are the most peace-loving religion and your beliefs and practices are wonderful. Trying to relate it to religious traditions I knew, the nearest match I could make was Quakerism. Both Quakers and Sikhs believe and practice equality, see God's presence in all and are dedicated to selfless service and meditation.... I was disappointed that my son-in-law does not follow his faith.... I was looking forward to people with long beards, turbans and dressed in traditional Sikh attire to come on horses through our little English village on the wedding day. But I was really disappointed that no one is his family or friends had a beard and turban. The whole village would have been delighted to have seen Sikhs. It would have been an unforgettable memory. But what can we do?"

With a heavy heart he said, "My daughter wants the children to be connected to their Sikh roots and goes out of her way to take them to the Gurdwara, but her husband is not bothered. We want the grand-children to learn Punjabi, however his family are insistent in not teaching the children Punjabi. I cannot understand why, and it is just a great shame, considering what a wonderful religion Sikhism is."

No comments: