Sunday, May 20, 2018

"I respect Sikhs..."


A few weeks ago, I came across a black gentleman and said "Hi" to him. He put his hands together (like we say Fateh) and said "Hello, Mr Singh". Seeing how friendly the guy was, I stopped to talk to him. He said, "I respect Sikhs you know." 

He was wearing yellow colour trainers that seemed expensive. I made a comment, "I like like your trainers. They look very bright!" He replied, "Mr Singh there is a special story behind these trainers I am wearing." 

He continued, "One day I was walking down Soho Road (in Birmingham). I was walking barefooted because I was not in a good situation. A Sikh gentleman like you, with a turban and flowing beard was walking past me on Soho Road and stopped. He took off his brand new trainers and said that he cannot bare to watch me walk barefooted and that he should kindly accept his trainers." The black gentleman said that he refused at first and told the Singh "I cannot do that. What about you?" He said that the Singh replied, "I cannot bare to watch you walk barefooted, I will be fine brother."

The black gentleman had a huge smile on his face and said, "That's why I respect Sikhs!"

No comments: