Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Response to Facebook post...

It was brought to my attention this morning that someone has posted on Facebook, claiming that I have "intentionally changed puratan itihaas and puraatan rehit.."
The Facebook page made further accusations:
"So what's the big deal, perhaps just an honest mistake....
We don't think so. You see, this is the age old game of propoganda. And dishonesty not only in parchaar, but dishonesty in acknowledging and sharing GurMat and Ithihaas AS IT IS FOUND IN ITS ORIGINAL FORM."


Firstly, no one emailed me when my email is clearly displayed on my blog. Nor did anyone leave a comment on the post in question. This really does question our fellow brothers' intentions who post such things in a rush on Facebook, and others rush to re-post, make comments, make accusations and unnecessarily spread negativity and indirectly incite others to hate fellow Sikhs.

On Friday, March 31, 2017, I posted on my blog “Vaisakhi 1699: First hand account of Bhai Jaita Ji...” (link) When searching the Internet, I came across a transcript of the text 'ਭਾਈ ਜੈਤਾ ਜੀ - ਜੀਵਨ ਤੇ ਰਚਨਾ' (Bhai Jaita Ji - Jeevan Te Rachna) compiled by Dr. Gurmukh Singh Walia in 1994. There was no English translation of this text. So I decided to copy and paste the text of this book posted on the Internet. I have not read the printed version of this book, so I cannot possibly know if there is any difference between what’s on the Internet sources and what is written in any printed source. However, there isn’t one website, but a number of websites which have the same text that I have quoted.

I was accused of omitting the word 'Kesh' from the text, and accused it was done with intention of changing Sikh history and committing 'beadbi' (sacrilege). See below:

It is sad that people are resorting to a witch hunt and posting malicious things on the Internet with malicious intent. A simple Google search of the text would prove that numerous sources quote the text that I used.

Please see the following Internet sources, and please note that all these sources have posted the same exact text that I tried to translate, posted a good time before the blog post in question was published.



Parchaariks are always learning. If any of my brothers wish Manvir Singh to further research on this topic and bring clarity, then they would have emailed me, which would lead to healthy Vichaar that we can all learn from in a positive way.

I humbly request all my brothers and sisters, to please carefully think before posting or commenting about others on the Internet. When we post things based on hearsay or assumptions, we can easily end up saying, writing or posting something which is actually not fully true but presented as the truth, therefore turning into 'Nindya' (slander).


ਨਿੰਦਾ ਕਹਾ ਕਰਹੁ ਸੰਸਾਰਾ ॥ ਨਿੰਦਕ ਕਾ ਪਰਗਟਿ ਪਾਹਾਰਾ ॥
"O people of the world, why do you indulge in slander? The emptiness of the slanderer comes in the open."
(Gond Ravidaas Ji, 875)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bhai Saab, keep up the good work. Maharaj keep you in Chardi Kala so you can further develop Chardi Kala in the panth.

Anonymous said...

Bhai Sahib, the original post was written by me back in 2008. Here is the link: http://sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/38445-siri-gur-katha-eye-witness-account-of-1699/&

The text was typed by me from the book and saved as images which were then uploaded in the post. I mistakenly left out the word "Kes" which I have mentioned in the post above and also clarified later. However, those who copied the text afterwards never corrected this mistake and blindly spread the text. I am just astonished that so many have copied the exact same extracts from my post yet never cared to correct the simple mistake.

- Bijla Singh