Maryada of Karhah Prashaad from Sikh Rehit Maryada:
a. Only the Karhah Parshaad (sacred blessed pudding) that has been prepared or got prepared according to the prescribed method shall be acceptable in the Sangat.(1)
b. The method of preparing Karhah Prashaad is this: In a clean vessel(2), the three contents (wheat flour, pure sugar and clarified butter, in equal quantities) should be put and it should be made reciting Gurbani(3). Then covered with a clean piece of cloth, it should be placed on a clean stool in front of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, the first five and the last Pauris (stanzas) of Anand Sahib should be recited aloud (so that the Sangat can hear)(4). Ardaas should be done and for acceptance the Karhah Prashaad should be tucked with a Kirpaan.
c. After this, before the distributing Karhah Prashaad to the Sangat, the share of the Panj Piaare (five beloved ones) should be set apart and given away to any five Amritdhari (baptised) Sikhs that adhere to Rehat, the prescribed discipline of the Guru. When about to distribute(5) amongst the Sangat, first of all Karhah Parshaad should be put in a small bowl or vessel and given for the person in attendance of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji(6) and then then distribution should take place amongst the rest of the Sangat. The person who gives out the Karhah Prashaad among the Sangat should do so without any discrimination on the basis of personal regard or spite. Karhah Prashaad should be given equally to the Sikhs, the non-Sikhs or a person of so-called high or low caste. While giving out Karhah Prashaad, no discrimination should be made on considerations of caste or ancestry or being regarded, by some, as untouchable, of persons within the Sangat.(7)
d. The offering of Karhah Prashaad should be accompanied by a small sum cash offering.
- Karhah Prashaad must be prepared and distributed only by an Amritdhari Sikh that fully adheres to Rehat. This was clarified by Sri Akal Takht Sahib on 14th May 1985:Guru Gobind Singh Ji instructs in a Rehatnama:
ਭਾਦਣੀ, ਹੁਕਈ, ਕੁਰਹਿਤੀਏ ਪਾਸੋਂ ਕੜਾਹ (ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦ) ਕਰਾਏ, ਸੋ ਤਨਖਾਹੀਆ |
“One who gets a shaven-head person, a smoker, or someone who has committed a Kurehat (cardinal prohibition) to give Prashaad, becomes liable for Thankhaah (religious disciplinary action).”
(Thankhahnama: Bhai Chaupa Singh Ji, p. 102)
- The vessel should be Sarbloh, pure iron.
ਪਾਤ੍ਰ ਸਰਬ ਸੁ ਲੋਹ ਕੇ, ਭੁਗਤੇ ਅਸਨ ਸੁਆਦਿ… ਲੋਹ ਪਾਤ੍ਰ ਮੈਂ ਛਕੈ…
“Using utensils of sarbloh, one eats tasty food…one should eat in sarbloh utensils.” (Rehitnama Bhai Dya Singh Ji – Piara Singh Padam, pg. 75)
- ਕੜਾਹ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦ ਕੀ ਵਿਧਿ ਸੁਨ ਲੀਜੈ | ਤੀਨ ਭਾਂਤ ਕੋ ਸਮਸਰ ਕੀਜੈ |
ਲੇਪਨ ਆਗੇ ਬਹੁਕਰ ਦੀਜੈ | ਮਾਂਜਨ ਕਰ ਭਾਂਜਨ ਧੋਵੀਜੈ |੭|
ਕਰ ਇਸਨਾਨ ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰ ਹੁਇ ਬਹਹਿ | ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਬਿਨ ਅਵਰ ਨ ਕਹੋਹ |
ਨਵਤਨ ਕੰਭ ਪੂਰਿ ਜਲ ਲੇਹੁ | ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਸਫਲ ਤਿਹ ਦੇਹ |
ਕਰਿ ਤਿਆਰ ਚਉਂਕੀ ਪਰ ਧਰੈ | ਚਾਰ ਓਰ ਕੀਰਤਨ ਬਹਿ ਕਰੈ |੮|
“Listen to the method of making Karhah Prashaad. Take three equal quantities (of sugar, butter and flour). Clean the utensils and bowl. Take a cleansing bath and be ready. Do not say anything other than repeat 'Vahiguru'. In the iron bowl add water. This way (Guru) Gobind Singh will make it successful. Prepare the area for placing it. Then sat and sing the Praises of the Almighy.”
(Thankhahnama: Bhai Nand Lal Ji – p. 57)
- "If another vessel of the Karhah Prashaad is brought in after the recitation of Anand Sahib, it is not necessary to repeat the recitation of the Anand Sahib. Blessing the Karhah Prashaad with a Kirpaan is enough." (Sikh Rehit Maryada footnote)
- ਰਹਿਤ ਬਿਨਾ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦ ਵਰਤਾਵਹਿ |…ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਜਮ ਕਰੈ ਖੁਆਰ |੧੦|
“A person who doesn’t maintain Rehat distributes Prashaad… Guru Gobind Singh Ji says that that person will be disgraced when death comes.”
(Thankhahnama: Bhai Nand Lal Ji, p. 58)
- "Giving double share of Prashaad to the person sitting on the Tabiya in attendance of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji constitutes improper discrimination." (Sikh Rehit Maryada footnote)
- ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦ ਕੋ ਬਾਂਟ ਹੈ, ਮਨ ਮਹਿ ਧਾਰਹਿ ਲੋਭ | ਕਿਸੈ ਥੋੜਾ ਕਿਸੇ ਅਗਲਾ, ਸਦਾ ਰਹਹਿ ਤਿਸ ਸੋਗ |
“One who distributes Prashaad and in their mind they have greed. They give some little and others more, they will remain sorrowful.”
(Thankhahnama: Bhai Nand Lal Ji, p. 57)
- Dharam Prachar Committee. Sikh Rehit Maryada. S.G.P.C., Amritsar.
- Professor Piara Singh Padam (Editor). ਰਹਿਤਨਾਮੇ (8th Edition). Amritsar: Singh Brothers. 2006.