Monday, December 22, 2014

Sikh History in December - Part 4: Chamkaur Sahib...

Continued...



Shaheedi of Baba Jujhar Singh Jee
Seeing his brother become Shaheed, Baba Jujhar Singh jee pulled his sword out of it's sheath and asked Guru jee for permission to join his brother in Shaheedi. Guru jee replied, "Do not rush." Bhai Dya Singh jee was horrified and said, "What will the world say? How can we allow the Guru's sons to go and die in the battlefield?" Guru jee told Baba Jujhar Singh jee, "O son! There is no hurry. But you are very young. You have not fought in battle before." Baba Jujhar Singh jee replied, "I might not be able to fight but I know how to die...." Guru jee blessed Baba Jujhar Singh and gave him a Teg (sword) and dressed him with a Kalgi (plume). Guru jee said to Baba Jujhar Singh jee, "I have one request. I wish to see you fight with the sword, and see you become Shaheed." Guru jee fired arrows from the above the fort to allow Baba Jujhar Singh and the accompanying Singhs access to enter into the enemy territory. The enemy soldiers began shouting "It's the Guru's son!" Baba Jujhar was hit with arrows on his body and fell off his horse near Baba Ajeet Singh's body. Before breathing his last breaths he turned his face to face Guru jee and said, "Look! I have been attacked from the front, not from the back." He then looked at his brother and said, "Look at me, I have also on the path of Shaheedi." At this point, Bhai Dya Singh jee was about to run to battlefield and fight but Guru jee stops him and instead sends Bhai Deva Singh. 


  Uniqueness of Guru Gobind Singh Jee
According to the Quran, Prophet Abraham could not bear to sacrifice his son to God, and so covered his eyes with a blindfold. In the Islamic version of the story of the Prophet Jacob (Ya'qoob), when he becomes separated from his son Ya'qoob he became depressed and cried so much that his eyesight began to fail and he became blind (Ref: Surah  12:  Ayah  7-20).  When Prophet Muhammad's son Ibrahim died at the age of sixteen months, he fell to knees and cried.  In Hindu story of Mahabharat, when Arjan's son, Abhimanyu, is killed in battle, Arjan falls on the floor, throws down his weapon and repeatedly cries out his sons name. Then Krishan has to come up to him and preach the teachings of the Geeta for him to stand back up and fight and get other's sons killed. In the Hindu story of Ramayan, when Raam is exiled his father, Dashrath, became so sad that he takes his own life. In the Bible it says that the night before Jesus' crucifixion, he prayed, "O My Father, if it is possible, let this Cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will but as you will" (Matthew 26:29). Throughout world history, the greatest of religious leaders have been humbled before pain and sorrow. However, Guru Gobind Singh jee, prepared and sent his two sons to go on the battlefield and become Shaheed.




The Khalsa's Hukam
By the evening of 22nd December, both of the Sahibzaade and 29 Singhs had become Shaheed. Guru Gobind Singh jee planned to leave the fort and fight next in the battlefield. Knowing this, five Singhs (Bhai Dya Singh, Bhai Dharam Singh, Bhai Maan Singh, Bhai Raam Singh and Bhai Dya Singh Prohit) under the leadership of Bhai Dya Singh asked Guru jee to not leave the fort to fight. Guru jee replied, "How can this be? People will say that Gobind Singh had other's sons killed at the fort of Chamkaur. I am going to go and fight now." Bhai Dya Singh jee replied, "Guru jee, when you blessed us with the gift of Amrit, you bestowed the Khalsa with the respect of being your Perfect Guru. Today the Khalsa gives you the order to leave the fort of Chamkaur. We first requested you but now we are ordering you." 



Leaving Chamkaur Sahib
Guru jee then gave his Dastaar and Kalgi to Bhai Sangat Singh. Bhai Sangat Singh and 7 other Singhs were left behind at Chamkaur. Guru Sahib had not left quietly. On leaving, Guru Sahib blew his horn and stood on high ground and clapped his hands three times saying "Peer-e-Hind ravvad" ("The "Peer" of India is leaving"). Whether a battle is successful or not, is based on the intention of the battle. In the letter written to Aurangzeb called 'Zafarnama', Guru Gobind Singh jee writes that "O Aurangzeb your intention was to either finish off me or to imprison me and present me in your court. But look Aurangzeb! You have not been able to touch a hair of mine.... You martyred my younger children thinking that I will surrender and bow before you, but remember if you have martyred my four children, the Khalsa is alive and will deliver justice."


Aurangzeb's Death
Historical records as recorded by Bhai Santokh Singh show that the emperor had lost all appetite and power of digestion and could not expel any waste, whatever he took acted as poison in his body. He was in great pain and torment and he remained in this condition for several days, terrified, as it were, by angels of death. He died on 3rd March 1707 at the age of 91. His last Will was recorded by Maulvi Hamid-ud Din in chapter 8 of his hand written book in Persian about the life of Aurangzeb:
  1. There is no doubt that I have been the emperor of India and I have ruled over this country. But I am sorry to say that I have not been able to do a good deed in my lifetime. My inner soul is cursing me as a sinner. But know it is of no avail. It is my wish that my last rites be performed by my dear son Azam, nobody else should touch my body. 
  2. My servant, Aya Beg, has my purse in which I have carefully kept my earnings of 4 Rs and 2 annas. In my spare time I have been writing the Koran and stitching caps. It was by selling the caps that I made an honest earning of 4 Rs and 2 annas. My coffin should be purchase with this amount. No other money should be spent for covering the body of a sinner. This is my dying wish. By selling the copies of the Koran I collected 305 Rs. That money is also with Aya Beg. It is my will that poor Mohammedans should be fed with sweet rice purchased by this money. 
  3. All my articles - clothes, ink stand, pens and books should be given to my son Azam. The labour charges for digging my grave will be paid by Prince Azam. 
  4. My grave should be dug in a dense forest. When I am buried my face should remain uncovered. Do not bury my face in earth. I want to present myself to Allah with a naked face. I am told whoever goes to the supreme court with a naked face will have his sins forgiven. 
  5. My coffin should be made of thick Khaddar. Do not place a costly shawl on the corpse. The route of my funeral should not be showered with flowers. No one should be permitted to place any flowers on my body. No music should be played or sung, I hate music. 
  6. No tomb should be built for me. Only a chabootra or platform may be erected. 
  7. I have not been able to pay the salaries of my soldiers and my personal servants for several months. I bequeath that after my death at least my personal servents be paid in full as the treasury is empty. Niamat Ali has served my very faithfully he has cleaned my body and has never let my bed remain dirty. 
  8. No mausoleum should be raised in my memory. No stone with my name should be placed at my grave. There should be no trees planted near the grave. A sinner like me does not deserve the protection of a shady tree. 
  9. My son, Azam has the authority to rule from the throne of Delhi. Kam Bakhsh should be entrusted with the governance of Bijapur and Golconda States. 
  10. Allah should not make anyone an emperor, the most unfortunate person is he who is an emperor. My sins should not be mentioned in any social gathering. No story of my life should be told to anyone.

No comments: