Wednesday, December 17, 2014

"I just wanted to say something to you..."


An elderly Gora came up to me and said, "I just wanted to say something to you..." I smiled back and said, "Yes." He said, "Have you been watching the television documentaries that have shown the Sikh contributions in the World Wars?" I said, "Yes. But not all of them." He smiled back and said, "It is just amazing. You must be so proud. The Sikhs have done so much for this country."

He then went on to say, "I think Sikhs look wonderful. They look so elegant with their turbans and beards. Whenever I see a Sikh I think they look great."

At the end of the conversation, he smiled again and said, "There is one last thing... You Sikhs really know how to celebrate!" I thought "O deary me! Here we go!" The man said, "I work with a Sikh and he invited me to his wedding. All I can say that Sikhs know how to celebrate." Saying that the man had to go off.

Although it makes me feel proud that a Gora respects Sikhs so much because of our history, it was very saddening to see how the modern Punjabi culture of drinking alcohol, getting drunk and shamelessly dancing has clouded over the true character of of a Sikh and how the impression of the Sikh community has been stained.

No comments: