Wednesday, April 02, 2014

"Sikhs are lovely people..."


"Sikhs are lovely people...." How many times have you heard someone at work or you meet say this. It really makes me think how blessed we are to be Sikhs and how amazing Guru jee and Sikhi are. 

This week I had a Christian priest I work with me say, "Thank you for everything and being here." I asked, "Are you thanking God?" He replied, "No- I am talking to you." The conversation turned and he said, "Sikhs are lovely people." "All the Sikh people here (referring to work) are just lovely and peaceful people. They vibrate peace and tranquility and just get on with life..." I tried to turn the conversation in to saying people of all faiths are nice etc. However, the Christian priest said, "...No. Sikhs in particular have a wonderful vibration, feel, and they don't clash with anyone and get along with everyone. Sikhs have a wonderful presence about them..." 

Soon, after this conversation, another elderly Christian who came to visit us and I started talking. He said he was a retired Headteacher from a school in West Midlands. I said, "Did you have many Sikh students?" The man's face lit up and said, "Yes. Many. I must say I loved having Sikh children at my school. They were just wonderful. Sikhs are wonderful people. They have such a good work ethic and work with the school rather than working against us. They support their children and always want the best and are helpful to the school. I think Sikhs are wonderful.... I really mean that." 

It's amazing, how the world generally perceives Sikhs as a whole. It reminds me of another story when I first started my part time job whilst studying my Masters - but I will save that for another time. 

I went back to my Sikhi class and told the group about the compliments from the Christian priest and Christian volunteer and we reflected on how we such a huge responsibility when we represent Sikhi either in appearance, name, or association. As Sikhs we have such great expectations of behaviour to strive to keep and do our best to always give a positive impression which reflects the message of Guru Nanak Dev jee. We are not perfect and are 'bhulanhaar', but we can only daily pray that Guru jee gives us strength to strive to live the life he wants and shine Sikhi through our lives that the world feels the warmth, beauty and peace of Sikhi.


Dhan Hai Guru! Dhan Hai Teree Sikhee!

3 comments:

Daarji the Storyteller said...

We are blessed...With basic chateristics which put service before self.... The armed forces are replete with stories

http://iamdaarji.blogspot.in/p/my-travels.html

Daarji the Storyteller said...

We are blessed...With basic chateristics which put service before self.... The armed forces are replete with stories

http://iamdaarji.blogspot.in/p/my-travels.html

Jeanette Tovey said...

Sikhs are lovely people! I visited a temple Kobe Japan for the first time this year and it was lovely to meet such wonderful people. I am looking forward to visiting India next year and learning more.