Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Dastaar - A crown a Sikh...


On Friday I was walking and two white English guys said "Excuse me Mr. Singh." I went over to the two guys. One of them said, "What is your name sir?" The other guy looked at him and said, "It's obviously Mr. Singh. He is a Sikh." He then asked, "Mr. Singh, where are you from?" I said, "I am born here (i.e. the UK)." He said, "No sir, where your family originally from?" I replied, "Panjab - the land of the Guru, saints and great warriors." Both the guys had a huge warm smile on the face. One of them said, "Mr. Singh, you look and walk like a king." The other guy looks at him and says, "Yes. You look like a Persian king." They smiled and said "bye Mr. Singh" and walked off.

As this happened I remember the following lines attributed to Guru Gobind Singh jee:

ਇਨ ਗਰੀਬ ਸਿਖਨ ਕੋ ਦਿਊਂ ਪਾਤਸ਼ਾਹੀ || ਯਹ ਯਾਦ ਰਖੇਂ ਹਮਰੀ ਗੁਰਿਆਈ ||
en gareeb sikhan ko de-oo paatshaahee.  yeh yaad rakhe hamree gure'aaee.

"I bestow upon these poor Sikhs kingship. They will remember my guruship."

Dhan Hai Guru! Dhan Hai Teree Sikhee!

No comments: