Friday, February 08, 2013

Seeing Pain and Happiness as One...

Thank you to Bhaji for emailing this beautiful story to share with the Sangat:


In May 2012 Bhai Amrik Singh jee Chandigarh vale were doing Katha at Sri Dashmesh Culture Center Sahib in Calgary, Alberta in Canada:
"The following is what the Gurdwara Management Committee of a Gurdwara Sahib in Delhi told when I went to talk to them.
ਜੇ ਭੁਖ ਦੇਹਿ ਤ ਇਤ ਹੀ ਰਾਜਾ ਦੁਖ ਵਿਚਿ ਸੂਖ ਮਨਾਈ ॥੩॥

Jae Bhukh Dhaehi Th Eith Hee Raajaa Dhukh Vich Sookh Manaaee ||3||
Even if You give me hunger, I will still feel satisfied; I am joyful, even in the midst of sorrow. ||3||

We all read this line but how many of us actually feel this way. This bachan of the Guru was witnessed at the Gurdwara Sahib by the Management Committee.

One day a (worldly) poor Gursikh Pyaara rode up to the main gate of the Gurdwara Sahib on his bicycle. On the bike there were little snack packs that he sold to school children for  just 20 paise (a fifth of a rupee!). He got off of his bike and as he walked in through the gate he carried a little package with him.

The man had only been Amritdhari for around 2 years. After doing Matha Tekh to Satguru Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee he sat in a little corner of the Darbaar Sahib, away from the Sangat's view. As it was early morning, there was only a few Sangat members and the few Gurdwara management committee members.

The Gurdwara management committee members witnessed the Gursikh looking around to see if anyone was watching. He then opened his package and pulled out a parshaada (roti). The committee members continued to watch as they tried to figure out what this poor man was doing. They suspected he may be attempting to steal money from the Golak (money box). 

After he had finished eating he was about to leave. The management committee members came up to him and asked, "After you have done Matha Tekh, what were you doing sitting down?" The Gursikh replied, "I have been Amritdhari for only a few years now. My fate was such that after I had taken Amrit of my Beloved Father my financial condition took a turn for the worst. I now have to sell snacks to school children for 20 paise. Today there wasn't even any achaar (pickle) in the house for me to eat my parshaada. Today was the first time I had parshaada with salt. I came to the Gurdwar Sahib to thank my Beloved Lord for this chance to at least eat parshaada with salt."
The Gurdwara management committee replied back with, "Why were you hiding and looking around as if you didn't want anyone to see you? We were suspecting you for something else." The Gursikh answered, "I didn't want anyone to see me and say today the son of Dhan Sahib-E-Kamaal Guru Gobind Singh Jee has to eat a Parshaada with loon (salt). I didn't want people to start blaming and making fun of my Beloved Father."
May Vaheguru Jee bless us all with such prem (love), fear and Gursikhi Jeevan. May Naam and Gurbani and abide with us forever.
Bhul Chuk Maaf Karnee Jee.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dhan Hai Guru! Dhan Hai Teree Sikhee!

No comments: