Monday, July 16, 2012

Shaheedi Divas Bhai Taru Singh Jee


Today marks the martyrdom of Bhai Taru Singh jee. Shaheedaa Nu Lakh Lakh Parnaam. Remembering Bhai Sahib's shaheedi may Guru jee give us the strength, spirit and pyaar to keep our Kesh and Sikhi intact till our last breath with Guru's kirpaa.



Rabindera Nath Tagore (1861-1941)
The the legendary poet, artist, musicologist, novelist and mystic, Rabindera Nath Tagore, was influenced so much by the story of Bhai Taru Singh jee's martyrdom and sacrifice that he stopped cutting his Kesh. The story goes that once while traveling by sea, the famous poet Rabindranath Tagore threw his shaving kit into the sea. Upon enquiry, he said:
“I have realized God and the first step I have taken is to throw out this kit. I realized that cutting hair was a clear violation of the Will of God.” 





Shaheed Bhai Taru Singh - short poem by Rabinder Nath Tagore:

When the Pathans brought them chained
All in calm they remained
The captive Sikhs – though at Saheedganj town
With their comrades' blood the soil was brown.

Says the Nawaab, "Look Taru Singh –
I want to forgive you without misgiving."
Says Taru, "Why for me so much slight?"
Nawaab says, "A great warrior you are
That you proved in your fight;
So, to you I bear no anger;
Only I beg of you the gift of your Kesh
And you will be spared harm any."

Taru replied, "I owe you as your mercy's nominee;
So offer a bit more, my head with my Kesh (*)
(*) Note by Tagore: "To shave off Kesh is as good as forsaking
religion for a Sikh".



Dhan Hai Guru! Dhan Hai Teree Sikhee!

No comments: