Monday, July 09, 2012

Episode 5: Meeting Gursikhs in Jalandhar...


During my trip I visited Bhai Harkirat Singh jee who lives in Jalandhar. I first met him in Denmark. Bhai Sahib served as a Granthi Singh in Denmark. In the short time he was there he inspired the local youth who were disconnected and broken from Sikhi to keep their Kesh and take Amrit. Bhai Sahib does Keertan as well as Gurmat Veechar.

When I visited Denmark Gurdwara I was pleasantly surprised that the Gurdwara had a routine that every Sunday Bhai Sahib would lead the Sangat to do Naam Simran for 15 minutes (without instruments). Bhai Sahib would play football with the young and teach the youth Gatka and Keertan. He was an ideal Granthi Singh who could relate to young and old, men and women, Sikhs and non-Sikhs. If all Gurdwaras had a Granthi Singh with such qualities, the Panth would be in Chardi Kalaa.

Bhai Sahib knew of a good tailor in Jalandhar who makes clothes for Singhs. The clothes I got made were tailored well and actually fitted me properly (usually the tailor would make each Kurta a different size!). Unfortunately I cannot remember the address of the tailors.

Bhai Sahib and his brother, Bhai Tarlochan Singh jee, are involved in arranging Keertan programmes in Jalandhar and take Sangat to Rainsbaaee Keertans in Panjab. It was humbling meeting such friendly and down to earth Singhs.



Dhan Hai Guru, Dhan Hai Teree Sikhee!

No comments: