Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Faith - Brainwashed or the Truth?...

Below is a question asked by someone which Bhai Balpreet Singh jee (Toronto) kindly answered with Guru Jee's Kirpaa. Daas felt like sharing this question answer with the Sangat...

Question:
"I recently watched a documentary about a man who claimed he was God, he in this way had brainwashed many people to believe the same, he of course was lying for his own benefit. However it got me thinking that just as those people were convinced he was God, in the same way am I brainwashed to believe in my faith? Each faith claims to be the ultimate truth however which faith is? How do I know that I am not brainwashed just like those in the video. I never question my religion as it is taboo, but if for example Islam says the same then no woman would stand up and is it not the same if I don't stand up."

Answer:

Brainwashing: the difference between Sikhi and that man who claims he is God is that Sikh attaches us to Shabad whereas that man was attaching people to himself. Guru Sahib never attached us to personality, shabad was always the Guru. Guru Sahib encourages us to experience Shabad ourselves. The result isn't' something we have to wait for after death but something we can have in life. Looking at cults and other faiths, the question is whether I am incurring some pain or loss of status due to following my faith. If I am a low caste Hindu, I follow my faith because although I am low now, in the next life I will do better. If I am a Muslim woman, I accept I am subservient but I will get my reward in the afterlife. Sikhi doesn't' ask you to do anything in this life which would be negative or accept a position which is to your detriment. Sikhi is "halt sukh, palt sukh" or sukh here and sukh hereafter. Everything Sikhi asks you to do is for your own benefit. So just ask yourself whether being a Sikh is a detriment to you and whether it benefits a third party.

Dhan Hai Guru! Dhan Hai Teree Sikhee!

1 comment:

Jasbeer Singh said...

We can get answer's to all our questions and doubts about our own religion.Dasam pita Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji ORDERED us to follow Jaagat Jot Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji insteadof any Sant,Baba and Dera. Even daily we recite "Sab Sikhan kau HUKUM hai Guru Manio Granth"....still who claim that they are "Gusikhs" are bowing their heads to these Sant Baba's any paying a good amount of their hard earned money to run their Dera's...