Wednesday, April 06, 2011

"Stop your car..."



Today I stopped over at the local shop to buy some groceries. On the way out of the shop I sat in my car. A man pulled up in a car next to me. I could feel as if he was looking at me. The man then looked away, so I didn't think much of it. I was pulling out my car, when the same man gets out of the car and stands in front of the car and waves me to stop. I thought perhaps my car tyre has a puncture or something.

I put the window down, and the man said, "Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I saw you wearing a turban and wanted to ask you a question." I smiled and said, "What is your question." He said, "Do Hindus wear turbans?... Ermm... Are you Sikh?" I replied, "Well, some Hindus in India might wear a turban for cultural reasons, however Sikhs wear a turban because it is a part of their religion." He smiled and said, "I have been waiting for a long time to find someone wearing a turban to ask that question. Thank you for that. My grandfather fought in World War 2 in Burma. He used tell me that the Sikhs are a brave people and that they are courageous. He has a lot of respect for Sikhs. I am glad I met you. Sorry for taking your time." He smiled and walked away.

It was a strange but pleasant meeting. Amazing how much respect the man had for the Dastaar and Sikhi.


Dhan Hai Guru, Dhan Hai Teree Sikhee!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

vaheguru.. :)