Wednesday, June 23, 2010

"Sri Harmandir Sahib De Darshan Ishnaan..."


A few weeks ago I was at school going to my Form group. I had seen a new Hindu Indian teacher at the school. That morning, just before registration I saw the Indian teacher and we said hello to one another. He came up to me and shook my hand and introduced himself.

The man had white hair and seemed quite old. He smiled and said, "I am going to Punjab in the summer holidays." I asked him if he was born in East Africa or Gujrat, because he seemed to know about Sikhs and Panjabis. He said he was born in India but in another state (think it was Madhya Pardesh). He said that his family moved to Mombasa in Kenya for short while before moving to England.

He said, "I have never been to Panjab before, but I have had a great desire to visit the Golden Temple for many years." I said, "Do you have Panjabi friends whom you will be staying with?" He replied, "I have many Panjabi friends who have asked me to stay with their families in Jalandhar and other places but I want my trip to India to visit the Golden Temple to be special. I don't want to be around anyone else when visiting the Golden Temple. I want my visit to be a special experience - just go there and enjoy the peace. I have looked so long for a chance to visit the Golden Temple that I don't want to be distracted by any people." The gentleman seemed really excited to go to Sri Harimandar Sahib and he shared how he has always had a pull towards Sri Harimandir Sahib and how he must go and visit.

It was very inspiring to meet such a humbling individual who valued the Darshan of Harimandir Sahib and meeting Guru jee with so much respect and devotion.

Guru Arjan Dev Jee Paatshaah writes in Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee:
ਡਿਠੇ ਸਭੇ ਥਾਵ ਨਹੀ ਤੁਧੁ ਜੇਹਿਆ ॥
Diṯẖe sabẖe thāv nahī ṯuḏẖ jehi▫ā.

I have seen all places, but none can compare to You.

ਬਧੋਹੁ ਪੁਰਖਿ ਬਿਧਾਤੈ ਤਾਂ ਤੂ ਸੋਹਿਆ ॥
Baḏẖohu purakẖ biḏẖāṯai ṯāʼn ṯū sohi▫ā.

The Primal Lord, the Architect of Destiny, has established You; thus You are adorned and embellished.


ਵਸਦੀ ਸਘਨ ਅਪਾਰ ਅਨੂਪ ਰਾਮਦਾਸ ਪੁਰ ॥
vasḏī sagẖan apār anūp Rāmḏās pur.

Ramdaspur (now known as 'Amritsar') is prosperous and thickly populated, and incomparably beautiful.


ਹਰਿਹਾਂ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਸਮਲ ਜਾਹਿ ਨਾਇਐ ਰਾਮਦਾਸ ਸਰ ॥੧੦॥
Harihāʼn Nānak kasmal jāhi nā▫i▫ai Rāmḏās sar. ||10||

O Lord! Bathing in the Sacred Pool of Raam Daas, the sins are washed away, O Nanak. ||10||
(Ang 1361)


Dhan Guru Raam Daas jee.

No comments: