Thursday, May 14, 2009

Visting my old Primary School... (Part 1)



A few weeks ago I spent a week at my old primary school as part of work experience. I helped out in a Year 5 class (9-10 years old). There were about twenty three or so pupils.

It was nice to meet some of my old primary school teachers, and hearing them say "Manvir! You have grown so tall" and "I feel old looking at you." Waheguru. When I was younger, my primary school looked and felt like a big place, but going back there now, it felt much smaller!

On Monday morning I sat inside the classroom waiting for the teacher to open the doors and bring the children in from outside. As the children hung up their coats and entered the classroom, I got different reactions from the children. Some children stared at me and looked bit scared, a few children looked at me and started to smile and giggle, and there were some who didn't notice me at all and sat on the chairs and began reading as normal.

When all the children had settled down, the teacher took the register and then announced, "We have a special visitor with us today. His name is 'Manvir', and he will spending a week with us to see what we get up and helping you out with your work." I was surprised that some children were calling me "Mr. Manvir". Waheguru.

You could see that the children were very curious by the expression on their faces. Living in a town with hardly any Sikhs, and rarely seeing a Pagh-wala (someone wearing a turban), it was expected that the children would be curious to know who I am and why I look different.


To be continued...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I got different reactions from the children. Some children stared at me and looked bit scared, a few children looked at me and started to smile and giggle, and there were some who didn't notice me at all and sat on the chairs and began reading as normal."

lol :)

Jee said...

VaheGuroo! Please continue Paajee :)