Friday, August 01, 2008

Weird Story from Saturday... (Part 2)

...Continued.


I offered to do Ardaas for the lady. She said, "I don't believe in your God though. I believe in Jesus and my Christian God." I said, "There is only one God. My God, is your God, and your God is my God!" She said, "Really? (Pointing upwards) You believe in the God who is up there." I said again, "There is only one God for everyone." She smiled and said, "O really! O okay! I don't believe in your prayers but I suppose I have to do what you say because I am desperate."

I told the lady that she can follow me into the main diwaan hall. "We will stand for Ardaas, a standing prayer, and that Guru Sahib will listen to your prayer and help." The lady followed me into the diwaan hall. I did matha tekh in front of Satguru Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee and she copied me and bowed down. She said (with a confused and baffled voice), "Tell me. What I am bowing to?" I said, "We are bowing to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, the Word of God." She said, "Ermm... okay".

Then I did Ardaas to Satguru to help the lady who has come to the Guru's Sancturay and that if anyone has done any black-magic or negative things against this lady, may it stop. Also, may Waheguru bless the lady with good-health and prevent her from being vulnerable from anyone's misdeeds. After the Ardaas I did matha tekh and the lady copied me and bowed down. As I looked up, I realised that two or three people doing Akhand Paatths seva at the side were staring at me and the kaalee (which was kind of worrying, considering that they were meant to be reading paatth!).

I have a personal habit of walking backwards in Guru Sahib's presence and trying not to turn my back. It's a habit which has stuck since I took Amrit in India. Anyway, I started walking backwards after doing the Ardaas. (Anyone who knows of Southall Park Avenue Gurdwara, will know that the diwaan hall is quite big!). As I was walking backwards, the lady looked at me and started to copy me. She started walking backwards. Waheguru.

The lady said to me (with a confused and baffled voice), "Tell me, why on earth am I walking backwards?" Waheguru. I replied, "No one told you to walk backwards. I am walking backwards out of my personal devotion for my Guru. It is up to you. You can walk normally." She said, "No. I will do what you do." She carried on walking backwards (at the same time she looked scared as if she was going to fall over. Waheguru).

When we got to the door leading to the main entrance area, I touched the floor and wiped the charan dhoor (dust) of the Sangat on my forehead. The lady copied me and got her hand, wiped it across the floor and wiped it across her forehead. The lady said, "Why am I wiping the dirt from the floor on my forehead?" Hai Rabbaa! No one was telling her to do anything but she felt the need to copy. I said, "It's not dirt. But the dust of the feet of the devotees who come to see the Guru. It is a blessing in itself." She look at me with a confused face and said, "Ermm... Okay."
ਚਰਣਾਮਿ੍ਤ ਕਸਮਲ ਕਟੇ ਗੁਰੁ ਧੂਰੀ ਬੁਰੇ ਲੇਖ ਮਿਟਾਏ॥
charna-mrit kasmal katte gur dhooree bure lekh mittaae.
"Nectar of the Feet of the Guru (i.e. Gurbani, the Divine Word) cuts all sins and the dust of the Guru’s feet erases all evil writs."
(Bhai Gurdaas jee)

The lady then asked, "Will this work now?" I said, "Have faith in Guru Nanak. This is the House of the Great Guru. No one goes empty handed if you have faith, devotion and belief." She said okay and I made my way out of the Gurdwara. The lady continued to stand around the shoe area talking to other Sangat members. I would have told the lady to do Mool Mantar paatth or Vaheguru simran, but as the lady said she had no faith or belief in anything else other than Christianity and Jesus, I left it. She said she recites the Lord's Prayer everyday (which I remember from the days when I used to go to Scouts! "Our Father which art in Heaven, hallowed be thy Name..."). The main thing is remembering Akaal Purkh (God).
ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਜੋ ਜਨੁ ਜਪੈ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਸਦ ਜਾਗੈ ॥
Rām nām jo jan japai an­ḏin saḏ jāgai.
That humble being who chants the Lord's Name, remains always awake and aware (of evil desires and inclinations), night and day.

ਤੰਤੁ ਮੰਤੁ ਨਹ ਜੋਹਈ ਤਿਤੁ ਚਾਖੁ ਨ ਲਾਗੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Ŧanṯ manṯ nah joh­ī ṯiṯ cẖākẖ na lāgai. ||1|| rahā­o.||
That person is not affected by any charms and spells (black-magic), nor are they harmed by the evil eye (burree nazar). ||1||Pause||
(Ang 817)


Hope the lady is okay. It is difficult to tell in these cases whether people are genuine, suffering mental difficulties, or intoxicated. May Waheguru bless her and everyone.


Related links:
- Black-magic & Gurmat (Video Vichaar)
- Discussion topic on Forum

5 comments:

Hari Singh said...

Bhai sahib

Well done - a really deeply Sikhi thing to do - If you can't see God in all - you can't see God at all - Manas key jaat sabha eka pachana!

Anonymous said...

baba ji your link to sikhicamp under 'summer camps' is slightly wrong

it should be sikhicamp.org not .com :)

WILL YOU BE ATTENDING?!

VJKK VJKF

Manvir Singh (UK) said...

Guru Pyaari'o,

Sikhi Camp website can be accessed through .com and .org

Both websites should work and lead to same website.

Hanji, Daas will be attending Sikhi Camp :)

Kiran said...

"I am walking backwards out of my personal devotion for my Guru...It's not dirt. But the dust of the feet of the devotees who come to see the Guru. It is a blessing in itself."

Veerji, I think the reason you met this woman might have been just so I could read this. Definitely put a smile on my face and brought tears to my eyes :)

Anonymous said...

Bhaji your real life stories are amazing,they make you cry and make you laugh and teach us the meaning of guru's love.