Thursday, July 03, 2008

Sikh Identity & Power of Ardaas

Below is a video clip from Kathaa (discourse) by Bhai Paramjeet Singh Khalsa. He is one of my favourite Kathaavachiks because I really like the way he conveys Gurmat and does Parchaar in an easy and approachable way. Guru Kirpaa kare. The video clip is about Sikh identity:









For those who may find it difficult to understanding Panjabi, Bhai Sahib explains that he met a 6ft tall Gursikh police constable in Amritsar. Giani jee was really happy to see a Gursikh police officer and gave him blessings. Giani jee says in the Kathaa, "If by looking at Sikhi Saroop (the identity of a Sikh) another Sikh gives so many blessings, then imagine how many blessings Guru Gobind Singh jee gives that Sikh who keeps the identity that he has given us."

The young man told Giani jee that when it was the 300th anniversary of the Khalsa (1999), his father passed away. He said, "My two sisters were married off and only me and mother lived at home. When I grew up I passed by BA and joined the police at Baba Bakala village in Amritsar district." On the 300th anniversary of the Khalsa, his mother said to him:
"This house no longer looks like a Sikh house. You father is no more. Before, because your father had a turban on his head people would say that this is a Sikh house. Now your father has left this world, you are the only head of the house; but you have cut your hair and trimmed your beard. I have no identity whether I am a Sikh or another religion unless I wear a Dastaar (turban) and take Amrit, then my identity would be distinct. How will people know that this is a Sikh household?"

The mother asked her son, "If you give me permission, can I take Amrit on the 300th anniversary?" The son replied, "Mother! What is more better than doing this. Take Amrit!" The mother replied, "When I come home wearing a Gatraa (and Kirpaan), people will talk back to me and say that I am wearing a gatraa kirpaan whilst my son has his head shaven and dishonours his Kesh."

The mother folded her hands and told her son that she is not asking him to take Amrit but at least at least stop cutting his hair and wear a turban for her sake so that she could take Amrit. The son agreed to respect his mother's wishes.

Everyday as his beard grew, the young man thought whilst looking in the mirror: "shall I cut my hair today or tomorrow?" But he never got around to trimming his beard. By now he had a Dastaar on his head and his mother was Amritdhari. Giani jee comments that, "It is an unfortunate thing that no one highlights these positive things that happen in society. Instead the news and public focus on negative examples."

As soon as the young man's beard had fully grown he didn't feel like cutting it. He did Ardaas to Guru Gobind Singh jee, "O Kalgee-dhar Sache Paatishaah! Please protect me! Please guard me! When I sit with my friends they will say that have I not found a shaving blade and will say "shall we give you a blade". They will laugh..." It is our own people who laugh at those who keep Sikhi Saroop. Someone keeps their Kesh and wears a Dastaar and so-called Sikhs laugh and ridicule them by calling them "Giani" (with a derogatory overtone), "Baba" and taunt them. May Guru Sahib bless us all with wisdom.

One day, the friends of the young man laughed at him and taunted him so much that he decided to go the barber's shop. The man told Giani jee: "As I walked into the barber's shop, my eyes stopped seeing anything. I had (earlier) done Ardaas to Guru Gobind Singh jee to save me. Well, as I was in the barber's shop I went blind and started to feel dizzy." He thought what is happening and perhaps it is happening as a result of him being scared to cut his hair. So he went outside. As soon as I walked outside he could see perfectly well and the dizzy spells stopped!

The man then re-entered the barber's shop. He sat on the barber's chair ready to get his hair cut, and then again the light in his eyes went and he began to feel dizzy. After the second, then third time of going outside and coming back inside the barber's shop, he decided the fourth time not to shave. He then did Ardaas, "O Kalgee-dhar Sache-Paatishaah! You are Great! Are you that close to a Sikh that you heard my mother's Ardaas! My mother had said that may my son never cut his hair. O Guru Gobind Singh! You loved me so much that every time I think of cutting my hair I go blind."

Giani jee says, "Think carefully! If Guru Gobind Singh jee showed so much love and came to his Sikh, then think how much Guru jee loves Kesh (sacred hair)? But the sad thing is that today's Sikh has lost the plot and made it an interest to distort his appearance and cut his hair..."


Modern times - Young Sikh man denounces his Sikh identity. His Sikhi is worth a mere 10 Rupees.


Bhai Taru Singh, who loved his Kesh and Guru so much that he valued Sikhi above death and torture. His Sikhi was priceless!


Giani jee continued to say: "Guru Gobind Singh jee's Sikh, Bhai Shahbaaz Singh, climbed the spiked rotating wheels. Both father and son climbed on the wheels. You may have seen the pictures of them in museums. They were crushed in the rotating wheels but till the last breath they both kept singing, "Sir Jaae Ta Jaae, Par Sikhi Sidak na Jaae" (If heads are chopped then so be it, but may our Sikh spirit never go)."


Shaheed Bhai Subegh Singh and Bhai Shabaaz Singh, father & son who didn't sacrifice their faith and instead happily faced death!


Dhan Hai Guru, Dhan Hai Teree Sikhee.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

WAHEGURU JI DA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI DI FATEH
SIKHS WHO DON'T KNOW THE MEANING OF SIKHI AND CUT THEIR BEARDS AND KESH (HAIR) THEY ARE CALLED ABHAGAS AND THEY CAN NEVER BE HAPPY.
I M PROUD TO BE A GURSIKH AND I WILL SUGGEST THOSE PEOPLE WHO STILL DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE SACRIFICES OF OUR GREAT GURUS AND SAINTS FOR PROTECTION OF OTHER RELIGIONS AND MANY PEOPLE; PLESE WAKE THE SIKH INSIDE YOU AND LEARN MORE ABOUT SIKHISM.

Anonymous said...

wow. powerful post.

it is disheartening to see some people do sikhi parchaar and tell others about sikhism yet they themselves cut their beard and don't even wear a proper turban. some of the people trying to share awareness of sikhism and do gurmat camps wear patkas or rumaals and trim beards. this is no example to set to children or sangat.

thanks

Anonymous said...

its a shame these days people call them selves to be of certain jatha or dhal and yet have dodgy facebook groups. on other hand people stop otthers from doing sikhi parchar becase they can not agree themselves with on where mool mantar is or the fact that people see women as equal to men.

Anonymous said...

Paji, I really want to take amrit but what i'm unsure of is that there are many jathas that do amrit sanchaar, and each jatha has its own rehat to follow. i want to follow what is said by our Guru only, so i'm not quite sure what to do regarding that.
I had taken amrit before with a certain jatha, but i'm a maha moorakh who commited a kurehath of removing hair.
so should i just approach the same jatha regarding the amrit sanchaar?
Gurufatehji

Manvir Singh (UK) said...

Guru Pyaari'o, Amrit belongs to Guru Sahib, not any individual, Sant or organization.

There are many Amrit Sanchaars and people who do the respect-worthy Sevaa of Panj Pyaare. My advice would be to took Amrit or go pesh (present yourself) in front of the Panj Pyaare who have the highest moral character and are Jeewan-wale (i.e. practice Naam and Baani and keep strict Rehit) wherever that may be.

Guru Ang Sang Sahaaee.

Anonymous said...

Dhan Guru Nanak.
Paji, last time i took amrit, i was not given naam drir. are there only certain panj pyare who give naam? how is one to know which panji pyaare have the highest moral character?
would you be knowing if there will be any amrit sanchaar ceremony in uk anytime soon?
Gurufateh Ji.

Manvir Singh (UK) said...

Gurmukho,

Naam should be given in all Amrit Sanchaars. It is up to the Abhilaakhee (individual) to do Kamaaee(earning) of Naam starting with Abhiyaas (practice) of Naam at Amrit-Velaa which with Guru's Grace will eventually help to keep Simran going through the day (hopefully one day!) and also do Jaap of Mool Mantar and recitation of 7 Nitnem Banian at least daily. Having faith (bharosaa) and having love for Naam is the first step.

In regards to techniques of Japping Naam (Naam Jugtee) etc. is supposed to be given by Panj Pyaare. If you further questions or need help with knowing of Amrit Sanchaars in England or anything please email me - manvir.khalsa@gmail.com

Rahul said...

Sir - thank you for this great article. I never realized that the Sikhs suffered so much, and this has made me respect you more. In fact, Sikh history reminds me of my own Christian history. Early Christians also suffered death and torture, yet, still made it!