Sunday, February 04, 2007

Train Journey


Last Tuesday was a long day! I came back from university on the train. I was feeling slightly sleepy so I decided to nod off for a while. I felt the train stop and looked outside the window. Little did I realise that it was the stop I was meant to get off at! I quickly got up and went to the door. The train was still standing but the doors had locked. I kept pressing the “Open” button on the door but it wouldn’t open! I thought I could press the emergency open door button or speak to the driver to let me out, but I was unsure if you could be cautioned with a criminal charge for unnecessary use of the emergency button! Waheguru.

I had to go back to my seat. Sitting back down a thought came to my mind. At a recent Gurdwara Sahib talk I remember hearing the Gurbaani lines:
ਜੋ ਜਾਗੇ ਸੇ ਉਬਰੇ ਸੂਤੇ ਗਏ ਮੁਹਾਇ ॥
jo jaagay say ubray sootay ga-ay muhaa-ay.
Those who remain awake and aware are saved, while those who sleep are plundered.
(Ang 34)

I had merely missed my stop to go home because I was asleep. However, in life how many of us are asleep and miss the golden opportunity to realise the Truth of the Guru’s Word (Gurbaani) and Jap Naam.
ਜੋ ਜਾਗੇ ਸੇ ਉਬਰੇ ਸੂਤੇ ਗਏ ਮੁਹਾਇ ॥
jo jaagay say ubray sootay ga-ay muhaa-ay.
Those who remain awake and aware are saved, while those who sleep are plundered.

ਸਚਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਨ ਪਛਾਣਿਓ ਸੁਪਨਾ ਗਇਆ ਵਿਹਾਇ ॥
sachaa sabad na pachhaani-o supnaa ga-i-aa vihaa-ay.
They do not recognize the True Word of the Shabad, and like a dream, their lives fade away.

ਸੁੰਞੇ ਘਰ ਕਾ ਪਾਹੁਣਾ ਜਿਉ ਆਇਆ ਤਿਉ ਜਾਇ ॥
sunjay ghar kaa paahunaa ji-o aa-i-aa ti-o jaa-ay.
Like guests in a deserted house, they leave just exactly as they have come.

ਮਨਮੁਖ ਜਨਮੁ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਗਇਆ ਕਿਆ ਮੁਹੁ ਦੇਸੀ ਜਾਇ ॥੩॥
manmukh janam birthaa ga-i-aa ki-aa muhu daysee jaa-ay. ||3||
The life of the self-willed manmukh passes uselessly. What face will he show when he passes beyond? ||3||
(Ang 34)

May Guru Sahib do Kirpaa that we all remain awake and realise the true reality and with his Kirpaa we Jap Naam and live in accordance to His Will. Waheguru. Reflecting on the thought that we have been dogs, cats, rats, cows, pigs, donkeys, ants and plants in countless lives before, it puts things into perspective on how blessed we are by Waheguru. We are very fortunate that we are have been born into Sikh families or have been graced with a connection to Guru Nanak's House. The Perfect Satguru has given us Naam, Amrit, Gurbaani and Rehat to give us a happy, complete and fulfilling life where we can build a relationship with Waheguru and invoke His Love. Waheguru Kirpaa Karan.

I had to get off at the next station and then walk to the opposite platform to go back in the other direction. I had to wait there for about 20 minutes or so for the train. In total I had wasted 1 hour by missing my stop.


When the train arrived, I got on and tried to look for a seat. It’s really mind boggling that when there are so many passengers trying to find a seat that there are some passengers who take up TWO SEATS! In India you find three or four people sitting on two seats, but here you find one person taking up two or three seats! They will be sitting on one seat and leave their bag, coat, newspaper or sandwich on the seat next to them. It’s slightly frustrating to see people do this when there are elderly people trying to look for places to sit. I usually end up having to request the passenger if they could let me sit down on the seat and could they remove their bag or jacket from the seat. Chalo, Rab Raakha.

This time I made sure I didn't go to sleep! I didn’t want to miss the stop AGAIN! When I got off at the trainstation and went to get my bike to cycle home. Knowing my luck the bike chain had come off and had got jammed. Waheguru, Waheguru! So I ended up spending a good 15 minutes trying to get my bike chain back on (hoping not to get my white Kurta dirty with black oil marks). With Waheguru’s Kirpaa I got the bike chain back on. I cycled a short while and then realised that this time the chain had come off on the end of the chain (where the gear clogs are). So I had to get off and spend 5 or 10 minutes trying to get it out where it had jammed and put it back on.

I eventually got home and was glad to get home and relax!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Veer jeeo, if you haven't already, can you please write a short article about your experiences when first adopting gursikhi roop (bana, dastaar) 24/7 (i assume you do so), and the reaction(s) you recived... Also, NEVER stop blogging, that's an order! =)


Thank you!